Get Your Home Ready To Sell
Full disclosure - this is a checklist that my real estate parent company suggested, and some of these points are just funny! But its the first day of May, and people are going to be putting their house on the market, and I thought I'd share.
· Edge, mow and fertilize the lawn. Reseed any sparse areas.
· Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery.
· Reseal cracks in foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios. Power-wash your home’s exterior. Consider repainting in a neutral shade if there is peeling paint.
· Clean and align gutters and downspouts and inspect and clean the chimney.
· If the doorbell doesn’t work, repair or replace it. Repair and replace loose or damaged roof shingles.
· Remove oilstains from driveway and garage. If you’re selling in the winter, keep walks neatly cleared of snow and ice. Otherwise, keep the walks and driveway swept.
· Repair broken outdoor steps. Place brightly colored potted outdoor flower arrangements near the front door.
· Keep your garage door closed. Store RVs, boats and extra vehicles elsewhere while the house is on the market.
· Wash the windows inside and out.
· Clean walls, floors, inside closets and cabinets – everything. If you must, hire a cleaning service to come in and do the job.
· Get rid of clutter. Store appliances you normally leave on countertops. Clean out closets, garage, basement and attic.
· Paint the walls and ceilings off white or beige.
· Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
· Replace damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork.
· Repair dripping faucets and showerheads.
· Buy new cabinet knobs and curtains for the kitchen.
· Shampoo all carpets, scrub and wax linoleum, wash and wax wood floors.
· Unclog slowly draining sinks and tubs.
· Clean out the fireplace and lay some logs in it.
· Mend torn screens. Clean out all window tracks.
· Replace burned-out light bulbs. Use brighter light bulbs.
· Make sure every light switch works.
· Nail down any creaking boards or stair treads and lubricate any squeaking doors.
· Remove excess, worn or unattractive furniture.
· Clean all appliances (especially refrigerator and oven).
· Replace old toilet seats and shower curtains.
· Clear all cobwebs from corners and doorways.
· Wash all light switches, handrails and doorknobs.
· Keep draperies and shades open to let in the light.
· Place fresh flowers throughout the house.
· Set out colorful, luxurious towels in the bathroom.
· Avoid having dirty dishes in the sink or on counters.
· Keep any toys in the children’s rooms, bikes, wagons and skateboards in the garage.
· Play pleasant music at low volume.
Presumably the low volume music is for your enjoyment? What about pour yourself a beer after all that work? By the way, removing unattractive furniture is always a good idea. These lists crack me up.
But hey, if you are getting ready to sell, call Lucia for an updated report on your home's value. It won't cost you anything, and it will get you the most accurate numbers. Call before you have that drink we talked about :)